Bethalto (orginally named Bethal) was founded in 1834 and grew with the introduction of the railroad. The railroad was attracted to the area because of the large amount of grain grown and the region’s 40 coal mines. In 1869, the first Post Office was established and it became known that there was another Bethel in Illinois and the village’s name was changed to Bethalto, the first four letters coming from Bethel and the last four letters coming from nearby Alton. Today, Bethalto is principally a residential district and one of the area’s fastest growing communities. It is home to 24 churches and outdoor amenities such as Steve Bryant Park and the Bethalto Arboretum. We have an amazing airport across from us and are able to see the planes come and go, and every once in a while, we get a rare sighting of the “Goodyear Blimp” and “Airforce One” landing there.